Red Stone Church Dec 27, 2015
● Topical sermon today covering many topics (vs. exegeting a specific passage) Something for everyone. Think Bristol Motor Speedway Wreck behind you didn’t involve you, but if you don’t be careful you’ll run into the back of it in a few seconds.
● Will be sticking to my notes because I don’t trust myself with this much content.
Cammy - Tree up Nov 1, which also means a new Hallmark movie season begins. Discuss predictability of Hallmark movies (unlikely couple meet, disaster strikes, all is resolved, blessings come at just the right time, couple gets together, new job/promotion received, and...it starts to snow! ) . Not that way usually, and may not have had the best ending for you in 2015. Today, principles to help 2016 be better and a year that truly honors the Lord. And if it honors the Lord, know that it will be full of blessing, peace, joy, laughter, etc.
Sermon Topic: 2016!!!!
Write each of those down individually.
● For those who are single to quote a modern poet, “It takes 2 to make a thing go right...it takes 2 to make it out of sight.”
● Not everyone is called to be married. Paul speaks of this...those who would rather not have divided interests but give themselves fully to ministry.
● But for most of us, that’s why we exist...to glorify and serve God as a couple. “For this reason a man shall leave his family and cleave to his wife.” Voddie Bauchman says, “Boy, you not gonna make it on your own. You gonna be in trouble if I don’t get you some help.”
● I Peter 3:7 says that our wives are “...heirs with us of the GRACE of LIFE.” That’s good. Free gift of life...and someone to share it with.
● Yes, there are some advantages to the single life...come and go as you please. No one to be accountable to. Stay as long as you want to at the gym. Spend as much as you want on clothes. Etc. But...to truly understand the Gospel, we need to understand what it means to “consider the needs of another as more important than our own .”
● Pigeon Forge, Christmas, vacation, kids, heartache, life...someone to share these things with. Priceless!
● Are you Single? If so, consider: 1) Matt 6:33 Seek the Kingdom first and foremost. 2) BE THE PERSON THAT HIS OR HER PARENTS ARE PRAYING FOR . 3) Pray for a mate. (Be honest...share desires of your heart) 4) Don’t compromise here...they must be a believer (avoid being unequally yoked...the only biblical requirement for believers). But remember, they don’t have to be perfect either . Sanctification is a process. I grew mostly in my walk with the Lord AFTER I was married.
● AND FOR THOSE OF US MARRIED, consider: 1) Husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the church and give Himself for her. Discuss meaning and how applied in my home . Ask God to change your heart toward him/her. 2) Pray for them. 3) Pray with them each day. 4) Don’t ever let the sun go down while upset with them (and give the enemy a foothold). 5) Rejoice in the wife (husband) of your youth. Rejoice? What does that look like? Speak highly of them to others. Believe in them. Encourage them. Enjoy them. Shop, vacation, porch swing, long walk, weekend trip, gym, dream, etc. Triangle of seeking Christ together . Will grow closer to each other the closer each gets to Christ.
● Zero sins! Rom 8:1 no condemnation. “As far as the east is from the west…”If forgiven, act like it. Rejoice in the gospel. Act like a forgiven people. Also, If Christ has forgiven you then some of you need to forgive yourself.
● Zero idols None!
“You shall have no idols before you.” Tim Keller’s book, Counterfeit Idols says that the human heart is an “ idol factory. ” Success, recognition, relationships, sports, entertainment, etc. What idols do you have that need to be destroyed. Where do your affections lie? What things do you think about all of the time? What things rob you of time with God?
● Zero stuff from this world = What you can take with you . “But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into this world and we can take nothing out of it, but if we have food and clothing we shall be content with that.” From 1 John “ Don’t love the world or the things in the world, ...lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and pride of life.” Goes on to say that you can’t love the world and God at the same time. Psalm 73:25!!!!!!!!!! ** Also, this should affect giving. Everyone who knows Christ should give back to Him. Period. You don’t own; you’re a steward. Don’t wait for things to work out perfectly financially and then you can give. You’ve got it backward. Be a giver in 2016!
● Zero strongholds Heb
12:1 “Throw off the sin that so easily entangles.” 2 Tim 2:22 “Flee evil desires.” Throw off...Flee Think of scene from Fireproof with bat and computer. Enemy will return. Burn the ship. Sever the cord. This is the year for victory. David and Goliath...run toward it and slay it once for all by faith in the power of God...and then cut of its head. If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. If your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out.
● Zero excuses for not being in the Word and spending time in prayer each day . 2 Pet 1:39
Divine nature. “Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the full armor of God…”. Me? 5:02 a.m., but that won’t work for everyone. What works for you? Find a time and commit to it.
● One way to heaven and only one . Maybe you are religious but have never truly accepted Christ. The Bible says that there is “no other name under heaven given by which men must be saved.” Jesus says that He is “the way, the truth, and the life and no one comes to the father except through Him .” The world will say just the opposite. Islam and Christianity same God? Not if we believe in the Triune God? Was Jesus just a great teacher, or was/is He God? If not, then they’re not worshipping the same God...the ONLY God.
● One Death What Christ did on the cross was sufficient to COVER
ALL YOUR SINS. He need not die again. 1 Peter 3:18 “Christ died once for all...” Romans 6:10 “Christ died once for all” Hebrews 9:28 “Christ died once for all” He is all you need. Put your faith and trust in Him. Eph 4 “one Lord, one faith, one baptism.”
● ONE life This
is it. To quote Piper, “Don’t Waste Your Life.” I Cor 15:58 “
Stand firm , let nothing move you, always give yourself fully to the work of the Lord because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”
● Work SIX days, and not seven
● But really WORK those 6 days . Work hard. Work as unto the Lord.
Work as a part of your Christian mission. Our work should reflect a risen Christ living within us. How would your coworkers describe you as an employee? Your boss? Do you work hard? Do you submit to your boss, or do you grumble and complain when he/she is not around like the unbelievers do? How we work is a reflection on the Gospel. Through our work and our attitudes and tongue at work, let’s show that Christ is real and we are changed because of Him.
● Take a weekly Sabbath Sabbath was established at creation and is a lasting ordinance
● Day of the week? Will vary from one person to the next.
● My sabbatical convictions: REST, RECREATE, READ, REFLECT, RENEWAL, RECHARGE
● It’s critical that we take this time each week. Don’t try to be superhuman. God made rest as a gift. Receive it. Drink a glass of tea on the porch swing for hours. Watch back to back Hallmark movies. Hang out at the grandparents for hours. Take a nap. Read a book. Turn your phone and computer off.
● Back to Hallmark the creator of those movies ensures that everything works out well and that when the movie ends we feel good. Movies like this appeal to us because they give us hope.
● But to others, these movies make us mad because life isn’t always that way. Miscarriages still happen. Conflict at work doesn’t easily go away. Marriage is much harder than that.
● That’s why these principles are so important...they keep us focused on what really matters. It is true that our Creator...the creator of our reallife movie...will ensure that everything that happens will be used for good...for His glory...for Kingdom’s sake. We can trust Him; He is a good Creator and he knows what He is doing. It doesn’t guarantee you that you’ll get the big promotion, the cancer will go away, Prince Charming will sweep you off your feet, and that it’ll start snow as soon as you all kiss. But it will guarantee a Godhonoring 2016.
● So what specific area(s) is the Lord speaking to you about this morning? What changes do you recognize that need to be made in 2016? Living for self? Not loving your spouse well? Practicing empty religion vs. serving the living Christ? Worshipping idols? Allowing sinful strongholds to master you and your life? Spending more time watching T.V. and updating your Facebook page than being in the Word and in prayer? Not taking weekly Sabbath?
● Ask Lord to reveal this to you